Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Stand by Stephen King

This has been years in the making. I purchased The Stand with the idea of reading a long novel. I'm not a big fan of Stephen King, however I have wanted to read this book ever since watching the mini-series.

A virus or "super flu" spreads across the United States, but there are a few people still alive. The first couple parts of The Stand deal with these survivors dreaming of a woman and a man; both wanting them to join them. And, you guessed it, one's good and one's bad.

These first sections are really boring. King takes forever in creating the characters. And most of the main characters are traveling from the east coast to Colorado without airplanes, so you can imagine the amount of story he can tell.

The story doesn't get interesting until well after the two groups have formed. The good-guys are in Colorado, the bad-guys in Las Vegas.

What more do I need to tell you by way of review? This is a Stephen King novel, there's large amounts of violence, sex and gore. And the length of the story causes, at least for me, one to become so bored with it, you have to put it down for months at a time.

This was my first King read, and it will probably be my last.

No comments: