Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Lars and the Real Girl

I picked Lars and the Real Girl up from the library thinking it was going to be a nice romantic comedy. It was my wife's birthday and she enjoys movies starring Ryan Gosling.

Boy was I mistaken. This is an independent film about a guy who has some quirks... He decides to get a girl friend and chooses a life-sized doll.

When he brings her over to meet his family, the "comedy" begins.

Pretty soon the whole town is involved because the doctor believes Lars is suffering from some kind of delusion. Something happened to him when he was a boy. And I like how it was written in which you find out the cause.

In watching the bonus features, the writer described why she wrote the story. She wanted to see what it would be like if people treated those with mental illnesses with compassion and love instead of ignorance.

But other than that, I was disappointed by this film.

Too bad too.

No comments: