Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

I attempted to read one more "classic" story - H.G. Wells' The Time Machine.

The way people wrote stories back in the day is very different than what I'm used to. For the books I read, I don't know all the answers until the final twist.

For books that fall under the genre, "Classic" (i.e. Jekyll & Hyde, Invisible Man, etc...) you already know how things turn out.

Take this book for example. The Time Traveler invites his audience to his flat for dinner. As they are waiting for him to join them at the table, he stumbles out of a doorway and proceeds to tell them the story of his adventure traveling through time.

There shouldn't be any suspense because you already know that he survives the ordeal. Perhaps the purpose of this book, like it's classic cousins, is to inform the reader of some deeper point than just to deliver an action adventure story.

Having said all that, I am glad I finally picked it up and finished it.

No comments: