Thursday, August 13, 2009

G.I. Joe

I went to see G.I. Joe yesterday. I wasn't expecting much from this film and, because of that, I was able to enjoy a "fun" summer movie.

The term "summer movie" never means Oscar winner but that's okay because I've come to despise the Oscars.

G.I. Joe sports an impressive cast (of cameo stars) including:

Jonathan Pryce as the President of The United States
Brendan Fraser as a G.I. Joe instructor
Arnold Vosloo as Zartan
and Kevin O'Connor as a scientist

3 of those 4 were in the first two Mummy movies directed by G.I. Joe's Stephen Sommers.

The movie itself was full of special effects. They used flashbacks as a way to tell the character stories but other than that, this was one action scene after another.

Which is perfectly fine for a summer movie.

The fighting between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are nice to watch and the Accelerator Suit chase sequence is nice eye candy as well.

Snake Eyes doesn't talk but he is played by Ray Park (Darth Maul)

Copying the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still, G.I. Joe's villain decides to use nanonites to eat away cities in order to rule the world.

It's up to Dennis Quaid's team of Joes to stop them.

The ending has some nice twists to it and sets up the rest of the series - you know the sequel is already being written.

No comments: