Friday, June 25, 2010

The Believers' Church by Donald F. Durnbaugh

I can't begin to tell you how bad this book was for me...but I guess I'll try. The Believers' Church is a history book on the character of radical protestantism. And if that subtitle doesn't put you to sleep, then the first 20 pages will surely accomplish that.

Durnbaugh wants to inform his readers about how the protestant church came about and the branches thereof. John Yoder calls this book, "A classic" and I guess I would agree with him if by classic he means a book that is not enjoyable to read.

This book is divided into 3 parts: The Concept of the Believers' Church, The History of the Believers' Church, and The Character of the Believers' Church.

The last part would have to be the most enjoyable for me (and that really isn't saying a lot). In The Character of the Believers' Church, Durnbaugh dives into Mission, Evangelism, Church & State and other areas of minor interest.

The rest of the book is an entire bore.
The Believers' Church: The History and Character of Radical Protestantism

No comments: