Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Shine of Rainbows

I received this movie for a review. At first I thought it was going to be the cliche-ridden Christian film about a mother who loves her son, a father who isn't quite comfortable around him, and how the two men find love.

While I wouldn't call this a blatant Christian film, I was correct on the other points.

A Shine of Rainbows is about how Maire (Connie Nielsen) wants to adopt a boy. Her husband, Alec (Aidan Quinn) sends her off to make the choice. At the orphanage, Maire finds and selects Tomas (John Bell) a boy who is tenderhearted and nervous around men.

The home-life is a challenge as Maire does everything she can to make Tomas feel welcomed and loved while Alec is unsure of having such a "weak" boy.

In time, Tomas makes friends and they go off on adventures. He makes friends with an orphaned seal and they created a special bond.

The actors are fine in their roles. It's good to see Aidan Quinn out of the woodwork, and the locations were fantastic (the isles of Ireland).

Then the cliches come in full force and I don't want to spoil for you. But I will say, it's a family friendly film and it does have a good ending. The message is positive as well although not as "Christian" as I was led to believe.
A Shine of Rainbows

No comments: