Monday, June 16, 2008

Sinner by Ted Dekker

I'll give you what I really didn't like about this book first. I didn't like how my expectations were not met. I've been reading Dekker books since Thr3e first came out and no one was part of his website.

I was expecting Sinner to answer all of my questions that began with The Circle Trilogy. The trilogy causes your brain to twist and turn in on itself so many times and then comes a book called, Showdown. This is a fantastic book. Good versus evil on an ultimate level! But with Showdown, there were questions that followed.

I waited how many months/years for the culmination. And with Sinner I was let down.

With the hype that was building, I was expecting this huge supernatural battle between the villain named Marsuvees Black and the heroes, Billy, Darcy and Johnny. Even in the new covers of the books, Showdown and Saint, they show Johnny and Marsuvees controlling the elements. Nowhere in the book do they use this ability.

Sinner portrays the United States as a place that promotes tolerance. The pinnacle of postmodernism. Congress and the President create a law prohibiting any kind of religious expression in public. Basically making it illegal to say, "Jesus is the only way to God".

The showdown occurs when Johnny brings three thousand Christ followers to a town and they start blogging about Jesus as the only way. The government sends the police and the troops to stop them - by any means.

However, the final battle was not up to par with my expectations. Maybe I'm to blame and should read the book as a story against tolerance at the expense of personal freedoms.

No comments: