Monday, August 4, 2008

1408

Just finished watching 1408 and I have to add this the "Movies Based on a Stephen King Story that Flopped at the End" pile.

The movie stars John Cusack as a paranormal horror author Mike Enslin. He writes books along the lines of "10 Haunted Hotel Rooms" and other haunted places. He doesn't believe in ghosts nor does he believe in God because of the death of his daughter. ("How could God allow my daughter to die" kind of thing)

Enslin receives a postcard warning him not to enter room 1408 of the Dolphin hotel in New York City. The hotel manager, Mr. Olin, played by Samuel L. Jackson gives him a long list of people who have died in that room. One maid was stuck in the bathroom for only a moment and had become blind. When asked about the spirits or ghosts of the room, Mr Olin tells Enslin, "It's just evil."

Scary things happen near the beginning of Enslin's stay, I'll give it that. I was on the edge of my seat once he entered the room. He's given an hour to live. Olin warns him, "No one has survived longer than an hour." The clock beside the bed ticks off the seconds. Unfortunately, as the clock nears 00:00:00, I went from thinking, "What in the world is this?!?" to "Just finish this trash already".

1408 had so much promise. It could have been a terrific horror movie if done properly. It could have been done in a way that scared the living daylights out of you, while giving you ideas to think about. Instead the story became lame and the direction was pathetic. I suppose you can't blame the filmmakers, but I want to.

I suggest avoiding this flick.

No comments: