Monday, August 4, 2008

One Shot by Lee Child

It's about time that I finished this book. It took me longer than most novels because I kept finding other things to fill my time; like swimming, baseball games, VBS and other books.

But it's done with and can be put back on the shelf.

This was a book given to me. I wasn't sure what it was all about. After doing some online research, I learned that Child has a series of books based on his character, Jack Reacher. You know those kind of authors right? It's like a modern-day Sherlock Holmes.

Here's what One Shot is about:
Six shots. Five dead. One heartland city thrown into a state of terror. But within hours the cops have it solved: a slam-dunk case. Except for one thing. The accused man says: You got the wrong guy. Then he says: Get Reacher for me. And sure enough, from the world he lives in-no phone, no address, no
commitments-ex--military investigator Jack Reacher is coming. In Lee Child's astonishing thriller, Reacher's arrival will change everything-about a case that isn't what it seems, about lives tangled in baffling ways, about a killer who missed one shot-and by doing so give Jack Reacher one shot at the truth...

I was excited to begin this story. It has a great opening scene. But then everything got lost in the shuffle. I lost interest and finished it because I had only so many chapters left.

There wasn't any big surprise. It was a novel about trying to figure out who the bad guys are. I'm just used to Dekker-style plot twists. So nothing against Lee Child. But I won't be reading anything else by him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting response, particularly in light of the fact that this is the one (out of 14 Jack Reacher books) which Paramount is apparently making a movie out of. To each his own, eh?