Monday, October 27, 2008

Quarantine

I can't believe I watched this film. I was encouraged to see it by a friend and I should have known what kind of thing I was getting myself into when this friend is really into zombie movies.

But Quarantine isn't a zombie movie.

If you mixed 28 Days Later with The Blair Witch Project, you would get Quarantine.

It was compared to Cloverfield because of the camera work, but I'd say it's more like the Blair Witch because of how horrible the camera is. At least there was some steadiness to Cloverfield.

But enough of the comparisons.

This film is about a late night reporter (the girl you see in the photo) doing a story about firefighters. After the first 20 minutes of learning some stuff about what it's like for them, there's an alarm and they're sent off to an apartment complex.

They go inside and some of the tenets claim a woman was screaming in the upstairs. They go up to investigate and find this lady having trouble breathing and blood over her shirt.

Then the attack comes and they're trapped inside the building. The police believe there to be some kind of outbreak and seal the place up tight.


The plus side of the film is that the questions are answered. You find out what is going on and why. Another plus is how realistic everything is. Well, let me amend that. There are some recognizable faces in the cast so that puts a damper on the whole "it's real" thing going. You'll see people like Rade Serbedzija (of Batman Begins), Greg Germann (from Ally McBeal and other tv shows), and Dania Ramirez (from Heroes)

The negative side; I really got sick watching this film. I still have a headache from it. I didn't get sick by Cloverfield. There's alot of cussing, but that's to be expected when you're scared out of your mind, right? And the big negative is the lead - the reporter. She is incredibly annoying. Her cameraman does all he can to calm her down but she just gets more and more agitated which translates into the whimpering and crying.

I know defenders will say that's realistic, and maybe so. By the time we got near the end of the film, I was ready for the camera to be turned off.

Unless you're a zombie fan, don't bother with Quarantine.

No comments: