Monday, December 8, 2008

Dead Heat by Joel Rosenberg

Last night the series came to an end for me. I stayed up through midnight to finish book 5 of Joel Rosenberg's political thriller series. Dead Heat was better than I was expecting. I had gone to amazon and read all the horrible reviews. I enjoyed this book more than books 3 and 4.

Dead Heat is not a happy book. It is very dark. Just as a small spoiler, what happens in this story occurs directly before the Rapture. (Think Left Behind)

Now, I'm not one to agree with that kind of theology but I do enjoy a decent political thriller and Dead Heat delivers. The scenes within the US government reads like a Tom Clancy novel.

It's fast paced and exciting. Nevermind that the chapters are only 2-3 pages long - I was zipping through this thing.

No one is safe when three nuclear missiles strike Washington DC, New York, California and Seattle. Someone wants to deliver a message to the world and they've pretty much decimated the symbolism of America. (Yes the nukes strike and at the first part of the book)

How would America respond? Who is responsible? These are the thoughts that drive Rosenberg's finale.

Outside of the quite long sections of religious banter, this novel is a decent "easy summer" read. Nothing too hard for the mind to comprehend.

No comments: