Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger

Chris Evans is getting around the super hero circuit. First he took his turn as Johnny Storm in two Fantastic Four films and now he's emerged as Captain America. (Supposedly he's contracted to "appear" in six movies)

I think the biggest problem with this movie is the director. The only Joe Johnston movie I enjoyed was the perfect Rocketeer. I thought Jurassic Park 3 was a franchise-killer, Hildalgo - bleh. And nevermind The Wolfman.

I thought it was great to do a period film when showing the origins of Captain America and staying with the original comics. However I found the pacing to be a bit off. I was actually bored with most of this movie. Every character seemed very bland. Even the fantastic Hugo Weaving was demoted to half-a-second moments.

While I did enjoy this movie more than Thor, I'm not sure what I should expect from Marvel and their super hero movies anymore. If this was a tease of what's to come in The Avengers, I shudder.

On the plus side, this does equal summer fun. There isn't anything questionable as far as content. I was just hoping for more super in this hero. Let's hope we'll get that in The Avengers and the next Captain movie.

No comments: